Decriminalisation of drug use and possession in Australia – A briefing note
Citation: Hughes, C., Ritter, A., Chalmers, J., Lancaster, K., Barratt, M. & Moxham-Hall, V. (2016). Reproduced with permission: Drug Policy Modelling Program, NDARC, UNSW Australia.
Currently there is debate about how Australia could better respond to illegal drugs and the associated harm. One frequently raised option is "decriminalisation of drug use and possession".
This briefing paper explains:
- What decriminalisation is, and how it differs from prohibition and legalisation
- Public opinion on decriminalisation in Australia
- What the research evidence tells us about decriminalisation
- Which countries have adopted decriminalisation policies
- What currently occurs in Australia